The Art of Darkness
THE SEENOSUN LITERACY PROJECT
ABOUT THE SEENOSUN LITERACY PROJECT
The SeeNoSun Literacy Project is a new initiative to support and promote adult literacy.
Adult Literacy - A Crisis in the US:
- 71% of Americans over the age of 16 read below an eighth grade level.
- 43% of those with the lowest literacy rates live in poverty.
- Two out of three adults with low literacy skills are women.
- Uneducated young women are 4 times more likely to have a child before age 19.
- 75% of state prison inmates and 59% of federal inmates are classified as low literate.
- A 1% increase in average literacy rate can yield a 1.5% permanent increase in the GDP.
From the youngest ages, reading skills are taught by following along with text and reading aloud. Learning readers recognize words by sight and by sound, and in the process incrementally develop the other necessary skills for literacy. This eye-ear training is even more effective with adults, who have already gained some comprehension skills.
In a 2010 project presented to the School of Education at San Diego State University:
- 67% of students who read accompanied by an audiobook improved their STAR reading grade equivalent score.
- Averaged reading abilities increased seven months in reading comprehension levels after just four weeks.
- 84% of students reported audiobooks helped comprehension, reading pace, pronunciation and word knowledge.
- A 100% increase of all student’s motivation toward reading books as measured in the AMRP survey.
The SeeNoSun Literacy Project publishes eBooks and produces theatrically enhanced audiobooks from the texts of classic and modern horror themed novels. Downloads of these ebooks and listen-along audio books are then donated to various adult literacy programs and their adult readers.
We also offer eBooks and Audiobooks from our Classic Horror Series for purchase and download through our on-line bookstore. Proceeds from the SeeNoSun Bookstore benefit charities that support adult literacy programs.
The SeeNoSun Literacy Project is managed by SeeNoSun OnStage, a 501(c)3 non-profit theater company dedicated to the art of darkness. SeeNoSun OnStage is a member organization of ProLiteracy.org.
ProLiteracy believes that a safer, stronger, and more sustainable society starts with an educated adult population. For more than 50 years they have worked with organizations across the globe to create a world where everyone can read and write.
Chilling Tales For Dark Nights
A premiere horror-themed audiobook and short horror film YouTube channel with 5+ million accumulated video views. Chilling Tales for Dark Nights is dedicated to bringing radio theater back from the dead to make your nightmares come true!
Ghastly Tales delivers all the frights, scares, and occasional laughs that a horror fan could want. Terrifying stories,films and content to make you fear the dark and be glad for the light.
Kevin MacLeod has composed 2,000 pieces of music and made them available for download. His music has been used in millions of YouTube videos and is credited in over 1,500 films on IMDB.
MORE ITEMS OF INTEREST
A 2010 Project Presented to the School of Education at San Diego State University
"Audiobooks: Assisting Struggling Readers with the Cognitive Load"
An Article by Ljubica Matek, University of Osijek Croatia
"Teaching Horror Literature in a Multicultural Classroom"
Listening to Learn: Audiobooks Supporting Literacy
by Sharon Grover and Lizette D. Hannegan
Purchase on Amazon